Re: Why NOT using FreeBSD? Re: ports/169581: editors/libreoffice:

From: Pedro Giffuni <pfg_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
Just IMHO;

--- Mer 4/7/12, Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org> ha scritto:

> >> This is not what I expect from quality securing! It
> >> is simply a mess and definitely another reason
> >> and point for the thread "Why NOT using FreeBSD".
> >
> > sure libreoffice is so easy to port...
> >
> > /me officially gives up with that libreoffice port,
> > open for new volunteers
>
> If you don't have time to work on the port, then don't,
> that's not a problem. But throwing a hissy fit here
> doesn't help at all.

Even on paid jobs, people always have the right to quit.

The thing, as I see it, is that people have to understand
this is a volunteer project and if people don't do things
by themselves they really can't demand someone else to
do it for them.

> It's a plain fact that a working office suite is a basic
> requirement for most desktop users. If _we_ can't provide
> that (note, not you, personally, we, as a
> project), it's a valid reason for users to avoid FreeBSD for
> desktop use.

The system is as strong as it's weakest link. There
are perfectly good office suites for FreeBSD and even
then for some of us that is not enough to use FreeBSD
(or linux) as a desktop.

> If we're ever going to make progress in this area we
> have to be willing to examine and absorb facts; and
> then act accordingly.

If people think a particular office suite is critical
then *they* have to spend time on it. If no one has
the time or skills then maybe it's not that important
at all.

Pedro.