Re: Occassional "permission denied" in the middle of a large transfer over NFS

From: Vincent Hoffman <vince_at_unsane.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 11:49:30 +0100
On 08/07/2012 00:26, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Vincent Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I'm afraid this didnt make any real difference for me.
>> Since I couldnt test it on the live system I tried it on a test vm.
>> on the vm (nfs server) I set a looping mount/umount
>> while true ; do mount /dev/md0 /mnt/tmp ; sleep 1 ; umount /mnt/tmp ;
>> done
>>
>> and on the client I set a loop of tars of large directorys to the nfs
>> mount running under time to see how well it survived. Then replicated
>> the test with the patch and without.
>>
> Just to confirm, you patched both the kernel and mountd and replaced both
> on the server?
>
> Also, I'm not sure how ZFS handles it's exports. I can't remember if you've
> tried an exported UFS volume. It might be something ZFS specific?
>
> rick

Hi Rick,

yes I patched both the kernel and mountd, rebuilt kernel and world (to
be sure), added the -S flag to mountd in rc.conf and rebooted.
This is a test VM running -CURRENT and is only exporting  a ufs2
filesystem.
(11:43:05 <~>) 0 $ cat /etc/exports
/usr/local/export -maproot=root -alldirs  XX.XX.XX.XX

Client is a 8.3-RELEASE box but I see the same with linux clients.
(I can confirm that it works fine when I am not running the mount/umount
loop)

The production system has been fine since I removed the SIGHUP call in
mount.c so thanks for that suggestion.

Vince