Re: Use of C99 extra long double math functions after r236148

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:32:47 -0700
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 04:54:14PM -0500, Diane Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 02:43:46PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:

> > You submitted on June 6th, 2010.  I commented on why
> > the patch should be avoided on June 15th, 2010.  I see
> > no follow-ups from you that give the details on how
> > you went about testing and fixing the code?
>
> Steve, I misunderstood. Someone told me you and Bruce had some code which
> made this PR unnecessary, I did mean to close the PR as this is what I had
> heard. If that is not true I'd be happy to help you guys in any way I can.
>
> And my apologies, I should have verfied directly with you rather than
> listening to hearsay.

I know an approach to implementing many of the missing
functions.  The problem is that over the last 2 years
or so I have had very little time to work on coding
nor am I paid to work on such code.  When I do find
some free time, I look at what is missing and start to
put together a new function.  At the moment, it seems
that it takes 3+ years to get a new function written,
tested, and committed.  Given that it seems that only
das_at_, bde_at_, and I work on libm, I suspect it will be
completed by the time I retire.  At one time I had hoped
others would step up to help write the missing function,
but most people seem to push the "easy button" and want
to grab either cephes or netlib's libm.  There are
technical issues with this approach that I won't
rehash again.

--
Steve