Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:51:05 -0400
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Also, I think we should do this in general.  We already have one example (e.g.
> ACPI IVARs start at 100 so that things like the ACPI PCI bus driver can
> provide both ACPI and PCI IVARs to child devices).  I think we should assign
> each bus it's own IVAR range.  It would make it easier to determine if a
> specific IVAR is event supported.  Certainly I think ISA and PCI at a minimum
> should be changed to start at, say, 200 and 300.

What's the point doing that ? Let's just resign to the conclusion that
FreeBSD devices' subsystem provides no dynamic way for a client device
to deals with multiple bus driver. Instead all possible combination
have to be harcoded and hand-crafted, when at all possible, to look
like they're coming from a single bus...

But again, newbus is 14 years old...

 - Arnaud