Re: [IMPORT] bsdconfig(8)

From: Devin Teske <devin.teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:07:21 -0700
On Jul 14, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Bruce Cran wrote:

> On 14/07/2012 21:17, Devin Teske wrote:
>> The implication is that bsdconfig and bsdinstall will forever live side-by-side once linked together. That includes having bsdconfig live on the installation media so that bsdinstall can utilize it during the installation to (among other things) set the root password.
>
> Doesn't that mean that bsdconfig would be invoked as "bsdconfig password" which would bypass the welcome screen and so by the time the user does see it the root password (and timezone) will have been set?

No.

In 8.x, when you're performing the guided install, will prompt you to set the root password among many other things. At the very end, it prompts you as to whether you'd like to visit the configuration menu one more time.

In 9.x and higher, bsdinstall (taking the place of sysinstall) in a similar manner asks you to set the root password among many other things, but does not ask you if you'd like to visit the configuration menu one more time (because there isn't one).

So think of it this way… bsdinstall has these functionalities but no menu to invoke them.

By removing these functionalities from bsdinstall and instead using bsdconfig for these functionalities, the scenario now becomes…

bsdinstall asks to set the root password (by either executing "bsdconfig password" -- in which a transition is only noticeable because the --backtitle changes from "FreeBSD Installer" to "bsdconfig" -- or bsdinstall could instead include /usr/libexec/bsdconfig/040.password/include/password.subr and call the f_dialog_input_password() function where it can control --backtitle to make the usage even more seemless; making bsdconfig's functionality look like bsdinstall's). After asking to set the root password, bsdinstall can now (like sysinstall) ask the user if they'd like to visit the configuration menu one last time to make any additional changes (and bsdconfig -- no arguments -- would provide that menu).
--
Devin