Re: -current build failure

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 13:35:26 +0200
On 2012-07-21 01:16, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:07:05PM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
>> On 20 Jul 2012, at 17:33, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>>
>>> It is not related to dtrace at all, and indeed OFFSETOF_CURTHREAD is 0.
>>> This is a bug in clang, we compile our kernel in freestanding environment.
>>
>> The copies of the C spec that I have do not differentiate between
>> freestanding and hosted environments for the validity of dereferencing
>> a pointer value of 0. Doing so is undefined in all cases and any
>> standards-compliant compiler is quite at liberty to eat your dog in
>> such situations - it is explicitly not guaranteed to read the memory at
>> linear address 0 (this is undefined for at least two reasons that I can
>> think of from the C spec, and probably more).
>
> Ok, I stand corrected. But the standard does not say what you claim
> either. It only specifies that NULL pointer is unequal to any pointer
> to object or function (implicitely saying that you can create a C object
> or function pointer to which is equal to NULL).
>
> So, lets reformulate it other way: freestanding implementation in clang
> has no use, at least for general purpose kernel. Especially ridiculous
> is the fact that clang throws it hands for asm inline wanting to get
> null address, on the machine with linearly addressable memory.

Oh come on, that's just hyperbole.  Everybody understands that directly
dereferencing a NULL pointer is very unusual, in any environment.  It's
perfectly sane to warn about it.  Is it such a big problem to simply
insert a cast to tell the compiler you really want to do this, even if
it is highly unusual?