Re: portmaster and pkgng

From: Vincent Hoffman <vince_at_unsane.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:36:26 +0100
On 23/07/2012 09:43, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'd like to try pkgng with portmaster. I see that "pkg2ng" is involving
> the directory /var/db/pkg, so this implies that there may implications
> also for usage with ports-mgmt/portmaster. portmaster is supposed to be
> the tool completely dependend on system's toolsets, isn't it?
>
> I know that "pkg" is supposed to be more for binary maintainance of the
> system, but I'd like to be "stuck" with compiling my ports. Is there an
> issue with that?
>
> Thanks inadvance and sorry for the (naive) noise.
I believe there is a patch for portmaster at
https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/tree/master/ports
I havent tried this just yet, planning to today though.

I'm busy trying out pkg too. I have a repo online using poudriere and
like it very much, so far my only real issue has been that when I
changed repo from mine back to pkgbeta.FreeBSD.org I had to force an
update (pkg update -f) I imagine due to the timestamp being older on the
repo I am trying to change to. Not much of a problem as I consider using
custom repos a more advanced usage and it just force me to read the
manual again :) moving back the other way worked fine, while trying to
use multirepo didnt work at all (but does say its experimental and dont
expect it to work.)
A built in equivalent to portmasters -o option (replace the installed
port with a port from a different origin) would be nice as currently all
my perl modules are listed as having a missing dependency since I forced
an upgrade from perl5.12 to perl5.14 but then that's not in our current
pkg tools so using portmaster or similar for this is reasonable enough.

Vince