Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

From: Chris Rees <utisoft_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:41:48 +0100
On Jun 5, 2012 3:07 AM, "Erich" <erichfreebsdlist_at_ovitrap.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05 June 2012 11:24:25 Mark Andrews wrote:
> >

> > Version tagging is just a convient way to get a snapshot at a
> > particular point in time unless you create branches that are them
>
> we do not ask for more. There should be only one difference to a
snapshot. As snapshot has a date. No matter in what state the ports tree
was, it is in that state in the ports tree. If user - especially the one
not so fit in this aspect - want to use a snapshot, it will be difficult to
impossible to figure out which one they need.

> If version numbers would be introduced, it would be ok to use the version
number of the FreeBSD and have only version available which reflect the
release version of the ports tree.

> People here want to make always a perfect system. People like me want to
have some small things in there available with a click.

> As the ports trees are there anyway, only the direct link to the snapshot
of that day or a version number in the ports tree would be needed to make
this available for people who just want to use FreeBSD.

> Please note, I do not want any extra work spend here to make this
perfect. I only want a simple way to fall back to a big net which is not
that old from which the user can restart.

I and most others will purposely refuse to document this in any official
capacity, but I'll give you a hint.....

Look for the date tag in man csup.

Chris