RE: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

From: Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:21:22 -0400

I don't see what the overall issue is. When I first got introduced to
FreeBSD, I installed all of my 3rd part software using packages as I thought
that's how it was done. It installed fast but was a little out of date.
Later I learned about ports and slowly started using that for more and more
software to get the newer versions. Now I am at the point where all of it is
compiled from updated portstree and I fully expect every time that I upgrade
that some ports will break and have to be manually corrected. I would not
expect less from software that has so many random interdependencies that are
handled by multiple groups.

Have you ever mapped a tree of all the package dependencies it takes to
install gnome on a bare system? I got lost after the 20th level or so in.

There is constant compilation testing on the software to ID the blatant
compile errors, but tsometimes we just have the magical winning "combo of
fail" options on our system and it will break.

Overall I see it as packages are flat stable at the cost of being out of
date, and ports are current but not guaranteed to compile without
intervention. The Maintainers do give a very good shot to make them stable
but sometimes one person cannot maintain millions of lines of code and not
make a glitch occasionally, or make it out on time when a dependency
changes.