Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

From: C. P. Ghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:12:58 +0200
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM, O. Hartmann
<ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> A complete No-Go is the lack of CUDA and more important OpenCL
> capabilities and therefore GPGPU usage. As nVidia made clear in San
> Jose, CUDA, and therefore GPGPU, is a tremendous fast growing market. On
> all of our number crunchers we use now Linux - for exactly this GPGPU
> reason. And once seddled, I guess it is hard to convince people to move
> towards another OS.

This is really becoming a problem, and it's getting worse over time.
I've had to set aside a couple of dedicated Linux boxes to do OpenCL
number crunching with nVidia GPUs, because there simply was no
way to do that in FreeBSD at the moment. As far as I'm concerned,
FreeBSD and HPC don't match well right now, and it is a crying shame.

Save for this, everything else here still runs FreeBSD just fine.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/