Re: [HEADS-UP] BSD sort is the default sort in -CURRENT

From: Daniel Gerzo <danger_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:02:01 +0100
On 27.06.2012 10:43, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 02:09 AM, Oleg Moskalenko wrote:
>> Doug, I'll post some performance figures, probably tomorrow.
>
> That's great, thanks.
>
>> But I do not agree with you that we have to reproduce the old sort
>> bugs.
>> It makes no sense and I am not going to do that. Absolutely not.
>
> That isn't what I said. What I asked is for you to *test* the
> existing
> sort vs. the new one, and to report where the behavior is different.
> That's a very basic part of any sort of "replace a core utility"
> project
> such as this one.

[ snip ]

Doug, are you implying that if we were about to import a new version of
GNU sort, you would be asking for the same data? I believe we do not
make this kind of work with any vendor code that is being updated in the
base; I do not really understand why should Oleg or anyone else do this
work when the bsdsort is compatible with a recent version of GNU sort.

--
Kind regards
   Daniel