Re: [HEADS-UP] Import of src/usr.sbin/bsdconfig from sysutils/bsdconfig (ports)

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:27:19 +0200
On 06/28/12 01:11, Devin Teske wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to announce that I intend to import bsdconfig(8) today.
>
> ===
>
> Run-up…
>
> Q. What is bsdconfig(8)?
> A. dialog(1) based post-install configuration utility for configuring/managing various aspects of FreeBSD.
>
> Q. What does it look like?
> A. No screenshots, but I do have a graphic illustrating the menu layout…
>
> http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig-0.7.0-ic.svg
>
> Q. Why do we need this in base?
> A. Because this functionality was exactly produced by sysinstall(8) which has been deprecated (will not exist in FreeBSD 10). FreeBSD-9 is where bsdinstall is being evaluated as a replacement for the install functionality of sysinstall(8) meanwhile bsdconfig is to replace the configuration/management functionalities of sysinstall.
>
> Q. Did you discuss this with anyone?
> A. Everyone that would listen in the past 6 months as we run up to the 9.1 code freeze.
>
> Q. Did anyone test this?
> A. Ron, myself, and about 8 others in the community did both high-level testing, low-level review, and more over the past 6 months.
>
> Q. If it doesn't go well, can we back it out?
> A. Sure -- it's entirely self contained. src/usr.sbin/bsdconfig is the only directory being touched (oh, and the Makefile in the parent directory to add the new SUBDIR).
>
> Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
>
> ===
>
> Heads-up…
>
> Code will land in src/usr.sbin/bsdconfig and _nowhere_ else.
>
> The code will be voluminous (~20k LOC across ~150 files including ~30 Makefiles).
>
> The code is entirely in sh(1) (don't knock it until you've seen it).
>
> The code used in this tool and all sub-modules was developed primarily over a 150-day period, but in reality contains code developed and revised over the past 5 years, entirely BSD licensed!
>
> All code was written by Ron McDowell and myself.
>
> ===
>
> If there are no complaints by End-Of-Day (EOD), I'll go ahead and import.

What will happen with the old sysinstall? Well, I'm glad to read that
FreeBSD makes a step forward, but maybe there are some people who want
to be stick with the old sysinstall.

While bsdconfig is flushed in from ports, sysinstall could be flushed
out into the ports?

If the question or suggestion sounds not rational, dump it ...

Regards Oliver