Re: [CFC/CFT] large changes in the loader(8) code

From: Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher_at_yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:54:41 +0400
On 28.06.2012 15:36, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> 28.06.2012 14:10, Stefan Esser пишет:
>
>> All of the above is ugly, U'm afraid :(
>
> One more try to overcome it. :-)
>
> We already have freebsd-boot partition at GPT scheme. Right?
> Then why not use it (dedicated file/part/etc.) to store
> geom FreeBSD information?

Recently i have ported LDM support to the FreeBSD.
LDM uses 1Mbytes to store its database. All disks that are used by LDM have this database.
When the disk is partitioned with MBR, LDM is stored in the last 1Mbyte. When the disk
is partitioned with GPT, one partition is dedicated to this database.
LDM is not just partitioning scheme, it is also LVM and can do RAID0-5.
This is how Microsoft and Veritas have resolved this problem.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov