Re: MPSAFE VFS -- List of upcoming actions

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller23_at_insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 00:17:27 -0400
On 06/29/12 16:32, Attilio Rao wrote:
> As already published several times, according to the following plan:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NONMPSAFE_DEORBIT_VFS

> in 2 months the code dealing with non-MPSAFE filesystem will be
> removed and filesystems not yet MPSAFE will be disconnected from the
> tree. Their code will be however available in our official repository
> yet for 6 months. This leaves a total time of 8 months to do actions.

> Current list of unmantained filesystems is: HPFS, NWFS, PortalFS and
> XFS. Coda and SMBFS have current mantainership but the status of the
> work has still to be determined. NTFS, is being worked for the Summer
> of Code program. Finally, ReiserFS was successfully locked during this
> campaign.

I'm familiar with HPFS but not NWFS, PortalFS and SMBFS; don't really know what Coda is.

I've been wondering about the status of XFS in (Free or other)BSD, know it's in ports and is usable in Linux.

I think you can even run Linux on XFS instead of ext(2,3 or 4)fs, or ReiserFS, or btrfs.

I remember Linux having read-only access, later also read-write, to HPFS, and I actually read HPFS partitions from Linux.

That was long ago.  Sometime during the single-digit days of April 2001, my OS/2 Warp 4 installation came apart when, following a crash where the file system was not cleanly dismounted, CHKDSK ran amok on reboot and trashed the entire hard disk, destroying a Linux installation as well.

I was never able to boot any OS/2 again after that (trap 000c or 000d if it got that far), even from installation or other diskettes; there was no such thing as bootable CD back then, at least not for OS/2 Warp 4.

Although OS/2 has continued on as eComStation (www.ecomstation.com), 32-bit i386 only, no 64-bit, eComStation has fallen far behind Linux and the BSDs.

So one could say HPFS is antiquated, very few Linux or BSD users would have use for HPFS access; my last time was in April 2001.

Tom