Re: src.conf ignored; phantom named

From: Rotate 13 <rabgvzr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 20:57:22 -0500
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 19:26:08 -0500, Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> fstat only shows the inode number of the file, e.g. [...]

Oops.  I should have paid more attention (or installed sysutils/lsof)
before piping around output of an unfamiliar tool...

> I don't recall seeing in your original message - after the installworld,
> did you reboot? Does "ps auxww | grep named" show that the process
> predates your installworld? (The 9th column should show when the process
> started, from memory)

The system was rebooted twice since installworld, while testing
different things.

Unfortunately, the system panicked while I was digging around (seemed
hardware-related; I do not think this was related to the original
problem).  When it came up, named was not running.  I do need the
machine to actually work, so I dumped the filesystems with system
stuff (/usr, /var, /etc...) and started nuking/rebuilding a clean
install.  Maybe I will someday poke around the dumps and find
something, but at this point I suspect it is either serious
configuration error (PEBKAC) or something else not FreeBSD's fault.

> I'm also curious as to why two instances of named appear to be running.
> On the face of it that would appear to be broken as only one could bind
> to port 53.  You're not running jails or anything similar are you?

No jails.  dmesg had repeated messages about inability to bind ports -
that's what gave me the clue that named was running in the first
place.  I was experimenting with a variety of dnsware, and dnsmasq was
peacefully occupying 53 udp.  So, neither named process was able to
bind (no pun intended).  And named was obviously started significantly
after boot...

Thanks for all the help.  I wish this came out more usefully for the
archives - but it seems to be wind up as a combination of "luser
forgot to make delete-old" and "bizarre, unsolved UNIX mystery".