Re: flowtable usable or not

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 02:21:51 -0600
On 3/6/2012 2:12 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> You haven't been bitten by the storage layer or filesystem hackery
> bits which has caused filesystem corruption. :)

Ummm, I have, actually. I was one of the early adopters of SU+J and
complained loudly when it ate my /var/ for lunch. I also use a lot of
separate slices/partitions, so my system partition isn't getting written
to very often, isn't using SU+J, and almost always comes up clean after
a crash. My layout looks like this:

FreeBSD 1 & 2 are the same:
/ + /usr
/var
/tmp (memory disk)
/usr/local/ (this is the big partition, things like ports WRKDIRPREFIX
and /usr/obj go here)

Then I have separate ext2fs filesystems for /home, /data (cvs, svn,
other big trees). These are accessible from my Linux partition, which is
also where the shared swap partition is.

Using ext2fs for things I really care about (like /home) or things that
would take a long time to reproduce (like cvs and svn trees) has helped
avoid some of the more exciting corruption/data loss events, and
everything on the /usr/local's is either backed up, or trivially
reproducable.

> That said, FFS+SUJ has made recover-from-kernel-panic so much less
> painful. Thankyou Jeffr and others!

It's also made a mess out of snapshots ... The only thing I use SU+J for
is /var and /usr/local (see above).

> What I tend to do is either run current on a VM or organise some
> dedicated -current laptops. And run the bits of -current I'm testing
> on -8 and -9.

Well you get a gold start for actually running it at all, so there you
go. :)

Doug