Re: More of that "Rune" business

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:53:50 -0600
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:38:22 -0600
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads_at_cox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:39:23 +0100
> "O. Hartmann" <ohartman_at_mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > On 03/09/12 21:04, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > > I'm getting quite a few of these "Rune"-related errors during port
> > > builds lately.  I've tried following the advice from the list, but
> > > no good, they still keep occurring.  I even tried backing off to
> > > my last known good buildworld/buildkernel (around Feb 23), and it
> > > still doesn't help.
> > >
> > > Also seeing problems relating to the new clang src.conf variables.
> > > Can't successfully build world and/or kernel to try to correct
> > > things. "make buildenv" in /usr/src hasn't helped. "make install"
> > > in /usr/src/share/mk hasn't helped.
> > >
> > > Is there some "magic bullet" for this that I've just somehow
> > > managed to overlook?  I'm totally at a loss here.  Help!

[failed port build output snipped]

> > Me, too, here.
> > Buidling a world with most recent sources and CLANG doesn't work, if
> > building with legacy/old gcc 4.2.1 the option WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=
> > YES blow off things.
> >
> > I had the "_Rune" problem quite often and came around by walking
> > back to a well known source base and doing a "make installincludes".
>
> Yes, it's a very frustrating issue, because it also affects ports
> builds, not only source.
>
> Just on the outside chance it might help, tonight I hosed my entire
> src tree (which I normally update from a local copy of the CVS
> repository which I maintain via csup) and did an svn checkout of the
> src tree. Still no go.  Same exact thing.
>
> I'm completely stuck for the time being, until the root cause of this
> problem is corrected.  I only have about a 50/50 chance at the moment
> of any port builds succeeding, with numerous updates lying in wait,
> and zero chance of a successful world/kernel build.  I don't pretend
> to understand what the real issue is; all I do know is what I've been
> seeing lately: numerous failed ports builds, most of them referring to
> an unresolvable _ThreadRuneLocale, and some of them mentioning issues
> with yylex et al.  I'm stumped, honestly.  Been reading the lists in
> hopes of learning of a working solution, but nothing I've tried so
> far has produced any positive results.  I'm seeing the word "Rune" in
> my sleep lately, I swear!  :-)
>
> This is absolutely maddening!

Well, now, this is interesting.  Just for curiosity's sake, I tried
building a new kernel with the fresh source tree I just fetched from
the svn repository, and it succeeded!  Still can't build world, though.

The question now is: do I dare install this new kernel and give it a
try?  Cant afford to do any harm to my existing installation.

My latest working kernel is from Feb 23.  Just how dangerous might it
be to try the new one?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads_at_cox.net