Re: PostgreSQL server 9.1.3 rejects connections after update: Error connection to the server: FATAL: frontend-protocol 1234.5887 not supported: server supports 1.0 through 3.0

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:38:08 +0200
Am 03/27/12 15:20, schrieb Eduardo Morras:
> At 10:54 27/03/2012, you wrote:
>> Since the last PostgreSQL port update, server and client are version
>> 9.1.3 and a newly build of the FreeBSD OS (both 9.0-STABLE and
>> 10.0-CURRENT, amd64), clients like pgadmin3 or webinterfaces like those
>> from refdb reject connection to the PostgreSQL server with the error
>> message:
>>
>> Error connection to the server: FATAL: frontend-protocol 1234.5887 not
>> supported: server supports 1.0 through 3.0
>>
>> All users, execept a local admin and the psql user, are kept in
>> OpenLDAP. It seems, that the LDAP connection got messed up somehow.
>>
>> I tried to recompile everything required by OpenLDAP, PostgreSQL via
>>
>> portmaster -f, since I realized changes in Heimdal on FreeBSD 10.0-CUR
>> and I deleted the old libs via delete-old-libs/files.
>>
>> Does anyone see this problem, too?
>
> No sorry, i use 8.2 for Postgresql server.
>
> Have you touched the pg_hba.conf file? Perhaps it has been reinstalled
> and setted with default values, so pg don't know what a ldap server is.

As I figured out, this problem occurs only with clients running on
FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT. A notebook, FreeBSD 9.0/amd64, but with most
recent ports, also postgresql-9.1.3 clients, recompiled textproc/refdb
clients, recompiled openldap clients, recompiled pgadmin3 (and all the
dependencies) does not sho this weird error and behaviour.

As I wrote, the configs of the server hasn't been touched, ran perfectly
since approx. a week ago even with the FreeBSD 10 clients and now, after
a recent update (do not know whether a port or OS triggers the problem)
I receive this weird behaviour which is really boring.

As far as I know, there was a Kerberos5/Heimdal update recently on
FreeBSD 10. I did a "make delete-old-*" in /usr/src and deleted those
old files/libs/dirs et cetera. After that, I had to recompile a bunch of
ports, even all dependencies of openldap, postgresql, pgadmin and even
subversion to make them work again, since the were compiled against
those deleted outdated libs in some parts. I can not exactly say that
since then the problem occured, but I think it might be that way.

Regards,
Oliver