Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

From: Chris Rees <crees_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:56:06 +0000
On 30 March 2012 17:31, C. P. Ghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws> wrote:
>>> please do not.  Some people expect /tmp to be persistent.  This is why
>>> /etc/defaults/rc.conf has clear_tmp_enable="NO".  Changing this would break
>>> the POLA.
>>> >
>>> This is a mistake.
>>>
>>> The default should be clear_tmp_enable="YES"
>>> if only to uncover those broken configurations that expect /tmp to be
>>> persistent.
>>
>> If you want to break POLA and make a lot of people angry, sure.
>> Otherwise no.
>
> I couldn't agree more. Not clearing /tmp on reboot has been
> the norm for way too long and it is too late to change now.
> It's not just POLA, it also involves deleting data of unaware
> users, and that should be avoided.
>
> Anyone willing to change policy w.r.t. /tmp can do so on their
> own machines. Nothing is preventing them from doing so.
> But by changing defaults, one should err on the side of
> caution and remain conservative, IMHO.

>From man hier:

/tmp/      temporary files that are not guaranteed to persist across
system reboots

This assumption that people often make 'People will be astonished by
this'-- I would like to have someone speak up and actually say "Yes, I
use *temporary* directories for long-term storage" rather than the
assumption that they are around.

Software that assumes this should be fixed, and it won't be until the
bug is exposed (I'll look at eaccelerator-- it probably should store
its cache in /var/db).

Maintaining the status quo because of some hypothetical scenario isn't
really productive.

Chris