Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

From: <deeptech71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 02:57:38 +0200
C. P. Ghost wrote:
> Not clearing /tmp on reboot has been
> the norm for way too long and it is too late to change now.

We either evolve or be in a stalemate forever.

> It's not just POLA, it also involves deleting data of unaware
> users, and that should be avoided.

Mounting on a directory (/tmp) does *not* clear that directory, so automatic data loss will not occur.

Adrian Chadd wrote:
 > One of those reasons people stick/stuck with BSD is that we don't go
 > and change this stuff so quickly.

Yes, it would be a total of ~20 years before we finally decided to switch to using TMPFS for /tmp.

Changes that potentially break the POLA can be categorized; a change has a combination of the following properties:
(1) the change fixes a bug (ie., the change is about something that should have been different in the first place, eg., the change fixes the misspelling of a command name)
(2) the change can be prepared for (ie., enough time is given for the user base to slowly switch the new method of doing things)
(3) the change is evolutional (ie., the change is based on a decision to yield a net benefit (not necessarily a benefit in all cases))
(4) the change has priorly been given room (ie., is expectable as defined by standards and the documentation)

The TMPFS-for-/tmp change obviously falls into (4), and surely into (3). With the support of UPDATING entries, release notifications, and perhaps announcements, the change also falls into (2). Furthermore, using TMPFS for /tmp is analogous to adding assert()s to code. Noone is really breaking the POLA that much.
The TMPFS-for-/var/run should not even bother anyone.