Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

From: jb <jb.1234abcd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 02:47:43 +0000 (UTC)
 <deeptech71 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  > One of those reasons people stick/stuck with BSD is that we don't go
>  > and change this stuff so quickly.
>
> Yes, it would be a total of ~20 years before we finally decided to switch to
> using TMPFS for /tmp.

According to TMPFS(5)
"BUGS
     The tmpfs kernel implementation is currently considered as an experimen-
     tal feature.  Some file system mount time options are not well supported."

Perhaps there is a reason to not push "experimental" things on users ?
Btw, I hope Quotas is supported by tmpfs.

I do not know about you, but I feel differently about /tmp even as part of "/"
fs beeing bombed by mega-size files, and /tmp as /tmpfs (main memory plus swap)
getting full or even reaching some preset value and having some priority job or
its data or caches being swapped.

jb