Re: [RFC] Un-staticise the toolchain

From: Erik Cederstrand <erik_at_cederstrand.dk>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 00:46:04 +0200
Den 01/05/2012 kl. 15.55 skrev Gary Palmer:

> If you want a high-level view of what goes on run
>
> ldd `which ls`
>
> check that it has libraries to load and doesn't say "not a dynamic ELF
> executable", and then run:
>
> ktrace ls
> kdump | more
>
> All the system calls related to resolving and loading shared libraries
> take time.  I realise "ls" is not "make", but it should give you an
> idea.

Just for fun, I did some measurements with ktrace and a static vs dynamic make. I did 'ktrace make' and 'trace dynamicmake' ('dynamicmake' produced by running 'make NO_SHARED=no' in /usr/src/usr.bin/make), just to see where time is spent when loading and running make in the static and dynamic cases. I did this 100 times for each version (discarding the first run) and ran through ministat (numbers in msecs):

x static.dat
|               x             x                                                  |
|               x x x       x x x            x                                   |
|               x x x       x x x            x     x                             |
|            x  x x x x   x x x x     x      x     x     x                       |
|  x         x  x x x x   x x x x   x x      x x   x   x x                       |
|  x       x x  x x x x x x x x x x x x  x x x x x x   x x                       |
|x x       x x  x x x x x x x x x x x x  x x x x x x   x x x   x x  x x         x|
|               |_____________M__A_______________|                               |
    N           Min           Max        Median           Avg        Stddev
x 100         2.228         2.266         2.242       2.24333       0.00794

x dynamic.dat
|                            x                                                   |
|                            xx                                                  |
|               x            xx   x x   x                                        |
|               x            xx   x x   xx     x                                 |
|               x          x xx   x x   xx   x x x                               |
|               x x    x x x xx   x x   xx   x x x               x               |
|x          x   x xx   x x x xx x x x x xx x x x x  x            x               |
|x     xx   x x x xx   x x x xx x x x x xx x x x x xx x x x x xx x          x x x|
|                   |_____________M_A_______________|                            |
    N           Min           Max        Median           Avg        Stddev
x 100         2.648         2.691         2.666        2.6669       0.00873

So the dynamic version is ca. 0.42 ms, or 16%, slower on my system.

I then compared a trace from a static and a dynamic 'make'. Both selected traces had a running time matching the median of that run. I cut away all common system calls etc., which resulted in just the steps involved in loading 'make' to a state where it can start executing.

In the static case, this took 0.26 ms. In the dynamic case, this took 0.57 ms, or 0.31 ms (119%) more. The remaining ca. 0.11 ms (0.42 - 0.31) are mainly due to the dynamic version having slightly slower IO (read() and stat()). I have no idea why. The following are the notable steps in each version:

Static version:
 * 0.09 ms spent execve'ing /usr/bin/make
 * The rest is mostly sysctl calls

Dynamic version:
 * 0.09 ms spent execve'ing ./dynamicmake and /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
 * 0.18 ms spent loading libc.so.7 (incl. reading /etc/libmap.conf and /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints)
 * 0.11 ms spent calling sysarch(0x81,0x7fffffffXXXX) (static version also does this but only uses 0.01 ms. No idea why)
 * The rest is mostly sysctl and sigprocmask calls

Thanks,
Erik