Re: ports/bash4 --enable-static fails

From: Chet Ramey <chet.ramey_at_case.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:56:59 -0400
On 5/10/12 12:20 AM, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Bash is trying to override the malloc() functions in libc with its own
> implementation in lib/malloc/malloc.c .
> I have seen this type of trick before 3rd party code that tries to
> override the libc implementation of malloc() / free() with its own.
>
> kan_at_ explained this to me before, but I don't know if I can explain it
> as well as him, because it has to do
> with how static linking works. :)
>
> Basically, the malloc.o object from bash, *must* have implementations of
> *all* the relevant functions in jemalloc_jemalloc.o in order for
> malloc.o to properly override jemalloc_jemalloc.o.
>
> If you have something like:
> jemalloc_jemalloc.o  (libc)                   malloc.o (Bash)
> ===============                           =============
> malloc()                                              malloc()
> free()                                                   free()
> calloc()
> realloc()
>

> the static linker will not be able to replace jemalloc_jemalloc.o from
> libc with malloc.o from Bash,
> because calloc() and realloc() symbols in jemalloc_jemalloc.o (libc)
> do not exist malloc.o (Bash).
>
> Since the linker can only deal with whole objects (.o files), it will
> try to pull in both
> jemalloc_jemalloc.o and malloc.o when doing static linking.
>
> I may have got some of the details/explanation wrong, but I have fixed
> something similar
> to this in 3rd party code, when the layout of malloc() functions in
> libc changed between FreeBSD 4 and FreeBSD 6.

This explanation is substantially correct.

> What you need to do is:
>    (1)  run nm or readelf on jemalloc_jemalloc.o,   then run nm or
> readelf on malloc.o
>    (2)  Look at the symbols in both
>    (3)  Add the missing symbols to malloc.c in Bash

The bash malloc includes definitions for malloc/free/realloc/calloc/cfree/
valloc/memalign.  I'd be interested in knowing what other global symbols
jemalloc exports.  I'd also be interested in seeing how someone managed to
compile the bash malloc and leave out realloc.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    chet_at_case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/