Re: SUJ file system corruption.

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:57:47 +0200
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:18:47AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On 13. May 2012, at 22:35 , Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
> > FYI:  Saw a crash due to filesystem corruption when running SUJ.
> >
> > This is on a ARM AM335x system (BeagleBone) that is
> > still pretty experimental, so I certainly cannot rule out other
> > problems, but in case it means something to
> > someone, here's the scenario:
> >
> > Reset the board to reboot (which is routine for these
> > small embedded boards) and when it came back up
> > it went through SUJ recovery, and then a little later
> > the kernel panicked with this stack trace:
> >
> > rm: /var/run/dmesg.boot: Bad file descriptor
> > panic: ffs_write: type 0xc1e86660 0 (0,1024)
>

> Can you tell us if this was HEAD, stable/9 or 9.0-RELEASE?

on stable/9 and amd64 as of 2-3 months ago i am seeing these panics
every time (fortunately very rare) the system needs to recover
from a crash.

On the subsequent reboot the system keeps crashing randomly as soon
as i load disk-intensive applications (often browsers or most things
that run under X11, but sometimes the crashes are even before that.
I then need to reboot in single user and do a manual fsck.  I tried
to run fsck using the journal, but after it completes a subsequent
non-journal fsck finds errors.

In the end, i am not sure if it makes sense to keep the SU+J active
on the disk, i am so afraid of crashes that i don't even dare
anymore to run experimental kernels or modules on my main workstation!

cheers
luigi