Re: FreeBSD 10 prognostication...

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 16:42:12 -0400 (EDT)
Jamie wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 07:20:18PM -0400, Vance Siemens wrote:
> > Eh, sorry. I got excited at the prospect of downloading FreeBSD from
> > the App Store and having the installer "just work" in a modern GUI.
> > You have to admit, FreeBSD is lacking in this area. It would be a
> > boon.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't like that. A good text UI with a menu is
> perfect,
> it works over terminals. It's perfect for server environments.
>
> If anything, I should think remote access should be improved.
>
> When I want the GUI operating system that "just works" at the expense
> of forcing me to do everything their way, I use ubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu is a toy, suitable for watching videos, browsing and doing
> email. It
> does a pretty good job of that, whats the point of trying to out-do
> them
> in the toy department?

Well, I worked for a computer science dept. for 30years and it seemed
to go something like this:
- Undergrad installs "toy" version of Linux on their desktop/laptop,
  likes it and promotes it to their friends.
- When these students graduate, they put Linux/Unix experience on their
  resume and get hired by a company with no Unix-like systems expertise.
--> They set up Linux servers for said company.

If the same was happening for xxBSD, then they would list that as well as
Linux and they would at least be aware that both existed. I don't believe
FreeBSD needs to try and do the easy to install GUI distro, but they could
reference the xxBSD distros that do try to do this. (Yea, I know someone
didn't like using the term distro for xxBSD distributions, but...)

rick