Re: OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc completeness

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:59:17 -0700
On 05/28/2012 12:52, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Doug Barton (dougb_at_FreeBSD.org) wrote:
>
>>> I'm running a little pet project of improving completeness of
>>> tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc file and thus delete-old*
>>> targets with regard to all possible WITHOUT_* knobs.
>>>
>>> E.g. when WITHOUT_foo is defined in src.conf, make delete-old should
>>> remove related files completely, to make a system look exactly like
>>> it's world was installed with that knob set.
>>>
>>> First of all, an automatic script to check for leftovers after
>>> delete-old for all possible knobs is available from [2]. Feel free
>>> to run in on different architectures and FreeBSD branches; I'm
>>> currently running it on amd64. I also think that it should be run
>>> during preparation of each FreeBSD release.
>>>
>>> There are some questions I'd like to discuss.
>>>
>>> 1) named config file var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf was intentionally
>>> left out from OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, so I did the same for other
>>> configs which may be changed by users.
>>
>> That's one reason to omit it. Another is that the bind ports use the
>> same set of config files.
>
> But putting in under OLD_CONFIGS+= would still be ok?

I have no idea, I don't use the Obsolete stuff, don't like it, and have
said since the beginning that it's the totally wrong approach to this
issue. The numerous problems we've had with it ever since it was
introduced seem to bear me out. :)

My point is, until such time as we remove BIND from the base (or I add
the config files as a port) I do not want the named config files removed
from a user's system.

Thanks,

Doug