Re: No reboot on shutdown -r

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:56:00 -0700
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Larry Rosenman <ler_at_lerctr.org> wrote:
>> For the last month or so, when I reboot via shtudown -r the machine
>> sits at "All Buffers Flushed", and I have to hit it with a IPMI reset.
>>
>> What can I do to help debug this?
>>
>> Current rev:
>>
>> FreeBSD borg.lerctr.org 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #38 r236314: Wed
>> May 30 11:10:24 CDT 2012
>> root_at_borg.lerctr.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BORG-DTRACE  amd64
>>

>> I can provide anything else needed.
>
>    I've noticed some funkiness the last 1-2 times I rebooted by
> STABLE-9 box as well where it will hang with ada+mfi/ZFS (two separate
> pools), but I didn't think much of it at the time. I really don't like
> rebooting that box all that often.
>    I have another system that has just ada+ada/ZFS (two separate
> pools) with approximately the same src version and it doesn't exhibit
> the same issue (but I don't remember the last time I shut it down
> cleanly because I've paniced the box screwing around with it a few
> times), so while my gut feeling goes towards mfi being wonky or
> another hardware difference between the two machines -- the root issue
> could be (and probably is) something completely different.

To answer your original question, something like this would suffice
(this isn't tested, look at man 4 ddb, etc):

1. Build the kernel with ddb/kdb.
2. Setup dumpon to point to a swap partition with enough space to
store kernel cores and make sure that /var/crash (or wherever you put
your dumps) has enough space to store the [mini]dump.
3. Hit CTRL-ALT-ESC if it hangs.
4. Either issue 'call doadump; reboot' and let the system dump core
and post the traceback somewhere like a pastebin, or do 'show
alllocks; show allprocs' and have a camera ready to take some pictures
from the ddb output.
5. Post the data somewhere and provide links to the output in a reply.

Cheers,
-Garrett