Re: November 5th is Clang-Day

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 11:19:16 -0500
On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:59:17PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 10:29:45PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >  - Not all libm tests pass.  More work by subject matter experts is
> >    required to create tests cases for LLVM developers.  Most problems are
> >    not expected to be major in practice given that LLVM is being used for
> >    scientific computing in a number of products including Cray's FORTRAN
> >    compiler, most OpenCL compilers, and the Julia language.
>
> Is there a knob to continue to use GCC as the default compiler?

As someone else stated, WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC will do it.

> The above statement is somewhat troubling to those of us
> who use FreeBSD as computational nodes.

I really need reduced test cases.  I'll I've been able to find so far
has been issues with exception states when NaNs are used and I've not
had time to reduce them to something small.  Unfortunately the design
decision to use asserts in the test suite makes it a pain to dig to
assess more than one failure at once.

> BTW, the name of the language is "Fortran".  It's been "Fortran"
> for the last 30-something years.

Tell that to aspell's dictionary. :)  I'd capitalized it correctly and
it wanted to change it.

-- Brooks