Re: FORTRAN vs. Fortran (was: November 5th is Clang-Day)

From: Peter Jeremy <peter_at_rulingia.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 18:50:29 +1100
On 2012-Nov-02 11:21:10 -0500, Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 10:21:19AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> It's a shame though that, with LLVM as the
>> default compiler, further development of
>> FreeBSD/ia64 and FreeBSD/sparc64
>> will probably suffer and then stop altogether.
>
>If you read either my annoucment or the diff closly you will note that
>the default it only changing for x86 architectures.

Even with all the best of intentions, once the x86 architectures (which
cover the bulk of the user and developer mass) migrate to a different
toolchain, the risk of bitrot in the GNU toolchain decomes non-negligible.
And once it breaks, there may not be the critical mass to repair it.
This is basically what happened to the Alpha.

--
Peter Jeremy