Re: November 5th is Clang-Day

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 15:29:42 +0100
On 2012-11-04 14:18, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 02:42:13PM +0200, David Naylor wrote:
>> I tried building (using gcc) wine with your patch and now (at least) winecfg
>> and regedit work with a clang built lib32.  I'll email Gerald (wine's
>> maintainer) about including your patch in wine.
>
> The wine is the wrong place to fix. If system libraries suddenly started
> requiring 16-byte stack alignment on i386, it is unacceptable breakage
> of the ABI.

So we really must use 4 byte stack alignment on i386 by default?  I have
attached a diff to llvm for this, but I would like to verify that it is
really correct.  Apparently Darwin, Linux and Solaris all use 16 byte
alignment.

The Sys V ABI seems to say only: "The stack is word aligned.  Although
the architecture does not require any alignment of the stack, software
convention and the operating system requires that the stack be aligned
on a word boundary".