Re: polling's future [was: Re: Dynamic Ticks/HZ]

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:27:37 +0000
--------
In message <5098E526.6070101_at_freebsd.org>, Andre Oppermann writes:

>Hi Luigi,
>
>do you agree on polling having outlived its usefulness in the light
>of interrupt moderating NIC's and SMP complications/disadvantages?

Can I just point out, that what we have is not in fact "device-polling"
but only "some-kinds-of-network-interface-polling" ?

I think it should go away, and if there still is a relevant
usage segment, be replaced by _real_ "device-polling" which is
not tied to the network stack.

Amongst the sensible uses for that would be high-speed serial
interfaces etc.