Re: 9.1-RC3 feels okay :-)

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:19:15 +0100
CeDeROM wrote:
> --e89a8f22bd09dffff504cdf7def8
>
> Hello :-)
>
> I have tested additional options in xorg runtime :-)
>
> With the patched xorg mouse driver 1.7.1 (or driver version >=1.7.2)
> situation is following:
>
> 1. With hald and dbus no xorg.conf file is needed. However it might bo
> option to pass some additional featutes parameters with xorg.conf.
> 2. With no hald and dbus mouse and keyboard does not work in xorg unless
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False" is added to  Section "ServerLayout" by
> hand in xorg.conf. Without this option input does not work even if
> xorg.conf defines it! AllowEmptyInput=False forces to detect input deviced
> by Xorg at startup.
>
> Thank you for this hint!

Someone before saved me just the same :-)

> This could be added to the handbook :-)

Yes, If you run send-pr	Or http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.htm
that would get it in handbook for release users.

& also send-pr to ask for/ or better submit a patch to code not just doc,
for people running /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server
(with Makefile containing	MAINTAINER=     x11_at_FreeBSD.org)

> AllowEmptyInput=False should be a default for Xorg IMO we can report it to
> the Xorg project! :-)

Xorg will have newer X sources than FreeBSD, & Xorg will be targeting many
OS's with different defaults of On/ Off for support daemons,
So that cobweb of what they might assume a consistent set of defaults,
is probably best pursued between people on x11_at_FreeBSD.org & Xorg.

But yes, certainly FreeBSD should itself have a consistent set that install
& work Without hand editing.

> Best regards :-)
> Tomek
>
> --
> CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info
> On Nov 6, 2012 10:58 PM, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs_at_berklix.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Reference:
> > > From:         CeDeROM <cederom_at_tlen.pl>
> > > Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2012 22:14:03 +0100
> >
> > CeDeROM wrote:
> > > I have also noted that mouse cursor is very often not moving in Xorg
> > > but it works in the console! I need to move cursor while statrx or
> > > restart Xorg for mouse to start moving. Is it a bug or feature? :-)
> > >
> > > In the xorg.conf:
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > >  Identifier "Mouse0"
> > >  Driver "mouse"
> > >  Option "Protocol" "auto"
> > >  Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> > >  Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> > > EndSection
> >
> > Inside
> >         Section "ServerLayout"
> > Just after
> >         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> > Append
> >         Option          "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".