Re: -Current built with clang as default + ports

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:59:49 +0100
On 2012-11-14 00:51, AN wrote:
> Can anyone comment on current built with clang as default compiler and
> ports?  Are there any major problems, programs that don't run?

There are some ports that don't compile, and obviously there will be a
few that do compile, but fail to run correctly.  Diagnosing the causes
is always an interesting venture, you encounter the most diverse
problems.

See https://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsAndClang for an overview, though some
of the instructions are outdated, now clang is the default compiler.

Of special interest are the results from the build cluster, where you
can get a quick overview of which ports don't build, and how many other
ports depend on them.

> Specifically, I am
> interested in how Gnome and Xorg (Gnome and Xorg built with default
> system gcc) work on world built with clang.

I don't use Gnome, but Xorg builds just fine with clang, and runs
without problems for me.  Regarding Gnome, and/or other big frameworks,
it is probably best to ask around on the freebsd-ports mailing list,
though.

> I believe the work around for ports that don't build with clang is to put
> USE_GCC=4.7+ in the port makefile, is this correct?  Any comments would be
> appreciated, thanks in advance.

That depends, if the port is easy to fix (borked configure scripts are
VERY common), then just fix it.  Only if the port is extremely tightly
coupled to gcc, or even a very specific gcc version, then use USE_GCC.