Re: Upgrading FreeBSD to use the NEW pf syntax. (Copied from freebsd-pf)

From: Fbsd8 <fbsd8_at_a1poweruser.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:16:58 -0500
Olivier Smedts wrote:
> 2012/11/20 Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org>:
>>> But a change like this is expected in a new major branch, ie.
>>> 10-CURRENT. Not so in -STABLE branches of course. I don't see the
>>> problem here.
>> So you don't expect people to upgrade boxes in place?
>
> I expect that before upgrading to a *major* version you should read an
> updating or "what's changed" documentation.
>
>> I also guess you've never been 5,000 miles away from a box and typo'd something
>> in the firewall and locked yourself out.  The think how tons of FreeBSD
>> users would feel if the default pf syntax was changed to be incompatible and
>> they find themselves in a similar situation after an upgrade.  Defaulting to
>> open, while it could solve the problem (although I would suspect there could
>> be edge cases where it doesn't), could be bad for other reasons.
>
> This already happened to me but, no, not during a major upgrade
> because I won't do this kind of work without at least someone on-site.
>
>> The other question that I haven't seen answered (or maybe even asked), but
>> is relevant: what do we gain by going to a later version of pf?  I.e. as an
>> administrator, what benefit do I get by having to expend effort converting
>> my filter rules?
>>
>> Gary
>
> At some time we'll surely *have* to upgrade our pf, because the legacy
> version won't be supported upstream. I say that a major release is the
> most appropriated place for such a change.
>
> Another question : how did OpenBSD managed this change ?
>
> Cheers

Hay I have been down this road myself. It's no longer possible to just
re-port the current OpenBSD version of PF to FreeBSD. The FreeBSD
version has been rewritten. Read all the threads shown in this post for
all the gory details.

[HEADS UP] merging projects/pf into head

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2012-September/006740.html