Re: Upgrading FreeBSD to use the NEW pf syntax.

From: Kevin Wilcox <kevin.wilcox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:57:54 -0500
On Nov 20, 2012 9:44 AM, "Mark Martinec" <Mark.Martinec+freebsd_at_ijs.si>
wrote:

> Paul Webster wrote:
> > I am aware this is a much discussed subject since the upgrade of PF,
> > I believe the final decision was that too many users are used to the old
> > style pf and an upgrade to the new syntax would cause too much
confusion.

> I don't buy that. Think of a confusion in a year of two when
> OpenBSD PF rules and the PF documentation won't match the
> legacy syntax in FreeBSD's PF.

Their documentation already doesn't match the legacy syntax, you have to
look for older pf documentation to match that in use by FreeBSD. This has
been the case since at least OpenBSD 4.7:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade47.html

To get documentation for FreeBSD pf, you generally need to look for OpenBSD
documentation for 4.2 or 4.3 as there were minute changes in the mid-4.x
range.

kmw