Re: Is cross-world building broken?

From: Ian Lepore <freebsd_at_damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:15:03 -0700
On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 16:19 -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > top posting, out of laziness and busy-ness at work..
> >
> > Ok. So:
> >
> > * make installworld/installkernel/distribution - set DESTDIR on the command line
> > * make buildworld/make buildkernel/make <various toolchain things> -
> > don't set DESTDIR?
>
> (re-CCing -current_at_)
>     Correct. DESTDIR should only be used for install targets (install,
> installworld, installkernel, distribution, etc), and not for any of
> the other build-related targets on FreeBSD. [as the meme goes] "If you
> set DESTDIR when building, you're gonna have a bad time".
> HTH!
> -Garrett

So when did this break, and why can't it be fixed?  I've been using
DESTDIR= on the command line for cross-builds as long as I've been doing
cross-builds and have never had a problem; doing this is just built in
to the scripts I use for cross-building.  It's still working for me in
some sandboxes that haven't been updated since r240278.

Also, how about "make DESTDIR=foo buildkernel installkernel" which is
something I've been doing for years, you're saying that now that won't
work because DESTDIR will be there during the build part?

This just seems all wrong.

-- Ian