Re: Buying recommendation for silent router/fileserver

From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:40:12 +0100
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I need to replace an aging Pentium IV system that has been serving as my
> router, access point, file- and mediaserver for quite some time now. The
> replacement should have:
>
> - amd64 CPU (for ZFS, obviously)
> - 2x GigE (igress, egress interfaces)
> - some form of wlan interface (I currently use an Atheros based PCI card)
> …
> For Wifi I can always fall back to sticking in a supported USB stick,
> although that's kinda hacky.

Are you planning to have the wifi act as an access point? Very few USB
wlan devices support hostap mode; and those that do, don't support it
very well. I've used a ural(4) stick in hostap before; any client that
supports client power save, and that you can't disable power save on,
will fall lose link as soon as it tries to enable power save.

I don't know of any other wifi sticks that support hostap.

Cheers

Tom