Re: Buying recommendation for silent router/fileserver

From: Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:48:22 +0300
11.10.2012 17:54, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I need to replace an aging Pentium IV system that has been serving as my
> router, access point, file- and mediaserver for quite some time now. The
> replacement should have:
>
> - amd64 CPU (for ZFS, obviously)
> - 2x GigE (igress, egress interfaces)
> - some form of wlan interface (I currently use an Atheros based PCI card)
> - eSATA for attaching a backup disk where I stream ZFS snapshots to
> - serial port is always nice, for when I mess up an upgrade
> - fan-less if possible
>
> So far, this here seems to fit the bill perfectly
> http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/intensepc/
> but pricing seems to defy any reality.
>
> It does not state directly which chipsets are used for Wifi and
> Ethernet, the block diagram claims Ethernet chips to be Intel 82579 and
> RTL8111D, but I don't trust that fully.
>
> For Wifi I can always fall back to sticking in a supported USB stick,
> although that's kinda hacky.
>
> So how well is networking going to be supported by FreeBSD? Should I
> just bite the bullet and find out?

Why not trying to look at cheap barebones or desktop PC's?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Sapphire_Edge_HD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119070

They are cheaper, hold much better processors for ZFS and can be
upgraded with extra GigE/eSATA interfaces by USB3.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.