Re: Buying recommendation for silent router/fileserver

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:51:06 +0200
On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 13:03:23 +0200, Hendrik Hasenbein wrote:
> On 12.10.2012 11:03, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 17:05:46 +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> >> What about the
> >>
> >> HP ProLiant N40L
> >> ?
> >>
> >> It's not fanless, of course - but it's IMO more suited for a
> >> server-type system than anything else in that price-range.
>
> It has a big fan which doesn't generate much noise. It is also decent
> looking in case you need to integrate it into a living room.

For longevity, I'd have a bit more confidence if this was an IvyBridge
system ... Now that FreeBSD somewhat supports the Intel HD graphics, I
might even slap on XBMC. And yes, living room + low noise is key, aka
Wife Acceptance Factor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor)

> >> I don't have one (I have no need for anything beyond what an
> >> AlIX-system can do) - but if I would need a home-server, I'd buy a N40L
> >> (it can boot from USB and you can thus boot FreeNAS from it)
> >
> > Interesting one, with only one GigE port though, both PCIe slots would
> > need to be populated to get a second Ethernet and a Wifi port ...
>
> I don't think that would be a drawback unless you want to cramp in a
> second SSD (or more) into the 5.25" slot. Maybe there is a
> wireless/wired combo card, but I havent found one. The USB boot + SSD
> (zfs cache) + 4 disks is a nice storage solution.

Yeah, I was aiming for a 32GB SSD, with 8-16GB as UFS2 to boot from and
hold all the software, 16GB as ZIL or L2ARC or whatever it is called and
have an external 2TiB HDD (eSATA) for the GELI+ZFS volume. Another 2TiB
HDD (USB, usually detached/powered down, running ZFS with compression
and dedup) already exists and is receiving the ZFS snapshots from the
current 1TiB (ATA, internal) disk of the Pentium 4 system.

Cheers,
Uli