Re: Buying recommendation for silent router/fileserver

From: Asen Varsanov <allmymaillists_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:36:31 +0200
On 10/11/2012 04:54 PM, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I need to replace an aging Pentium IV system that has been serving as my
> router, access point, file- and mediaserver for quite some time now. The
> replacement should have:
>
> - amd64 CPU (for ZFS, obviously)
> - 2x GigE (igress, egress interfaces)
> - some form of wlan interface (I currently use an Atheros based PCI card)
> - eSATA for attaching a backup disk where I stream ZFS snapshots to
> - serial port is always nice, for when I mess up an upgrade
> - fan-less if possible
>
> So far, this here seems to fit the bill perfectly
> http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/intensepc/
> but pricing seems to defy any reality.
>
> It does not state directly which chipsets are used for Wifi and
> Ethernet, the block diagram claims Ethernet chips to be Intel 82579 and
> RTL8111D, but I don't trust that fully.
>
> For Wifi I can always fall back to sticking in a supported USB stick,
> although that's kinda hacky.
>
> So how well is networking going to be supported by FreeBSD? Should I
> just bite the bullet and find out?
>
> Cheers,
> Uli

Hi Uli,
I have bought this one:
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/775548
with 4GB RAM DDR3 on 1066Mhz, with additional 1Gb/s PCI Ethernetcard and
using old but silent power supply.
Pfsense is not yet running, because I am still testing, but I can tell
so far that it has enough power to run the 3 ethX interfaces full speed
(about 100MB/s each for like 2 days testing) with live debian USB. I am
planning to run pfsense on it soon. I also tested how fast the cpu is
and I must say that is not blazing fast, it is about 3 times slower than
my laptop with 2x2,4 Ghz intell T8300, but it is low power ...

Cheers,
Asen