Re: [CFT]hwpmc update for sandybridge-e

From: Jim Harris <jim.harris_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 17:00:31 -0700
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM, hiren panchasara
<hiren.panchasara_at_gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks for the pointers Jim!
>
> It seems that everything works now with:
>
> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_sbx_3.txt
> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/pmccontrol_3.txt
> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/pmctestpy_3.txt
>
> As it can be seen, I do not see any errors with the test script.
> I've also tried to take care of the sorting issues Fabien mentioned.
>
> Can you please give this a whirl?

Looks good!  Version 3 passes pmctest.py on my system.

<snip>

> I have a few questions regarding this. For my testing I am using hwpmc as a
> module.
> Problem is that any change to pmc_events.h is not reflected when I do:
> 1) rebuild /sys/modules/hwpmc - unload/load new module
> 2) rebuild /lib/libpmc/
> 3) rebuild /usr.sbin/pmccontrol and pmcstat
>
> I have to do buildworld for changes in pmc_events.h to take effect. (which
> kind of explains my delayed responses :D )
> I know I am missing something here and there should be a better way to do
> this. Any other changes (other than pmc_events.h)
> can be tested with above 3 steps.

You forgot to mention sys/pmc.h, but that was a simple change so you
probably haven't had to touch it since your initial patch.

The quick and dirty way is to just copy sys/dev/hwpmc/pmc_events.h to
/usr/include/dev/hwpmc.  Also sys/sys/pmc.h to /usr/include/sys.

Thanks,

-Jim