Re: Removing firewire support from GENERIC

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:16:59 -0500
On 10/19/12 09:25, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Firewire is
>
>   - a significant security risk
>   - an obstacle to functining suspend / resume on many systems
>   - rapidly becoming obsolete
>   - available as a module
>
> The attached patch removes it from GENERIC across the board.  Any
> serious objections before I commit it to head?
>
> DES

(e) is still quite useful and something I expect to have Just Work on
any modern operating system

The only reason I think this makes sense is because of the
suspend/resume bugs. This is otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, a
serious POLA violation. That said, I thought the same thing about
removing sbp(4) from GENERIC and there is not too much point in having
firewire without sbp.
-Nathan