Re: RFC: removal of share/doc/{papers,psd,smm,usd} in 2 months

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:55:42 -0700
Ulrich Sprlein wrote this message on Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 16:36 +0200:
> those roff sources have been very naughty and will be removed from the
> tree by the end of the year. Most of those papers are severely out of
> date and provide no more use to the system. They can probably also be
> found online using a search engine of your choice.
>
> Should people feel strongly about them, we might be able to move them
> over to the doc repository.

One paper that should definately be saved is the vi docs.  The man page
is just a reference, but the paper on vi contains useful information
that the man page doesn't cover...

One good example is that the man page only has very short descriptions
of all the options...  The paper has a complete description of what
the options do...

I guess the real bug is that we've been installing these, but never
referencing them, or telling users where they could find them...  I.e.
in man vi:
       ``An  Introduction  to  Display  Editing with Vi'', found in the ``UNIX
       User's Manual Supplementary Documents'' section of both the 4.3BSD  and
       4.4BSD manual sets.  This document is the closest thing available to an
       introduction to the vi screen editor.

refers to usd/12.vi/paper.ascii.gz, but no reader of the man page would
know that...  Same w/ the other docs in the same section..  I'm not sure
many users would think to go man hier to see where they are located, or
even know that they might be distributed w/ FreeBSD...

I think the same thing applies foo memacros and others too...  That the
man page provides a short reference, and that these provide a more
detailed description of what is happening...

Are we installing doc by default?  If we reference these papers in the
man pages, and a user chooses not to install doc when they first install
the system, how hard would it be for the user to install the docs?  Can
they run a simple command to get the docs installed?  Maybe having a
README in /usr/share/doc explaining that they are now part of the doc
repo, and needs to be installed if they aren't part of the baes install..

Some papers I can see go, like psd/06.Clang...  Heck, it doesn't even
cover C89!?!   :)

I'm fine w/ cleaning it up, just not wholesale removal...

Thanks.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579