Re: RFC: removal of share/doc/{papers,psd,smm,usd} in 2 months

From: Hans Ottevanger <hans_at_beastielabs.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 10:40:45 +0200
On 10/19/12 16:36, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> those roff sources have been very naughty and will be removed from the
> tree by the end of the year. Most of those papers are severely out of
> date and provide no more use to the system. They can probably also be
> found online using a search engine of your choice.

Could you be more specific as to why these sources have been "very naughty"?

> Should people feel strongly about them, we might be able to move them
> over to the doc repository.

I strongly object this removal. As already pointed out by others, there
are papers documenting vi/ex and RPC/XDR. These papers are practically
the only docs available on these subjects, apart from the very terse man
pages. There are also tutorials on e.g. Yacc and Lex, that probably are
not that up-to-date but quite short and (at least for now) readily
available. And there is also the IPC Tutorial.

This may not all be documents that are immediately needed for
operational purposes, but they do offer much needed background
information, also of historical character, i.e. how and why things
became as they are today.

Regards,

Hans Ottevanger