Re: pkg (aka pkgng) 1.0 released

From: Chip Marshall <chip_at_2bithacker.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:43:43 -0400
On 07-Sep-2012, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org> sent:
> Ok, but all that can be done the "normal" way with A records.
>
> As far as I can tell, the intended benefits of the SRV record system
> is to disentangle services and hosts, so that, e.g. the same
> user-visible DNS name (e.g. "pkg.freebsd.org") resolves to a different
> host if asked for the HTTP service and the FTP service.

There are some other benefits to using SRV records for this, as
it includes port information along with weighting and priority,
allowing the servers to run on non-standard ports, and for
clients to be able to do some degree of load balancing and
failover. There's no easy way to do that with just A records.

--
Chip Marshall <chip_at_2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E