HELP: New Port: devel/pocl: A portable OpenCL library with LLVM backend

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 10:57:49 +0200
Hello.
I tried to create a "port", see the Makefile attached I created already.
For further informations and your convenience, look at this website:

POCL:
https://launchpad.net/pocl

LLVM:
http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

I use FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT r240186M amd64, my world and kernel are build
with CLANG.

The software, pocl, itself is straight forward able to compile. I didn't
"patch" anything or put magic sophisticated knowledge into "porting it",
I simply created the Makefile for the start. Feel free to work on it.

The Makefile is capable of building POCL on all FreeBSD 10 systems I
run, but it fails on FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE. I didn't investigate further,
since I have some first-priority questiosn and maybe some of the more
experienced people here are willing to contribute their knowledge.

0) In my CLANG built world, fetch(1) ends up with an "Authentication
error" fetching the sources from the site (see PR: bin/171402). This
needs to be fixed before the port works out of the box, you need to
download the source tar-ball manually for the first time from the site
mentioned above entitle POCL.

1) The port need to be build with a version number of the shared library
created - otherwise ldconfig doesn't seem to recognize the installed
library and does not load it into the cache.

2) A more sophisticated detection of the build environment is needed. I
failed providing a detection of the existence of a CLANG, legacy or GCC
> 4.6 build environment, I guess this can be done with the version
number of FreeBSD itself or with some knobs I do not know about. I'm new
to the ports system on this sophisticated level.

I think it is too early to announce this port with a PR, since FreeBSD <
10 isn't supported yet.

3) I didn't test the library with "real world" software, but I think I
will this in the near future, if it is working and usable. If some folks
could also provide "tests", please be invited.

Thanks.

Oliver