Re: Clang as default compiler November 4th

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists_at_tx.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:27:25 -0500
--On September 11, 2012 2:44:03 AM -0700 Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

>> Doug, as you can already use CLANG instead of GCC now, you will be able
>> to use GCC instead of CLANG after November 4th.
>
> There's lots of things I _can_ do, what we're discussing is what the
> defaults should be.
>
>> At the moment the ports maintainers don't give much about if their ports
>> build with CLANG or not
>
> Do you follow ports development? At all? There have been extensive
> efforts over the last several years to get more ports compiling with
> clang. The problem is that things like the c89 issue don't percolate
> down, and we don't have a concerted effort from all of the relevant
> parties to improve the issue.
>
> Fixing the problem of getting the right eyeballs on the things that need
> fixing won't be improved by switching the default before they are fixed.
> In fact, it's likely to make the people who are src-centric now even
> less likely to help because their work will be "done."
>
>> Those who don't run CURRENT won't notice, but those who do will have to
>> get their butts up and fix the ports, so 10.0 can have 99% of all ports
>> build with CLANG and even 8.x and 9.x can already profit from having the
>> broken ports fixed now.
>
> Yeah, and I'm going to get a pony out of this deal, right? :)
>
> You completely misunderstand the nature of the problem, therefore your
> proposed solution isn't going to solve it.

Perhaps a port maintainer's input would help?  I'd never even heard of
clang until recently.  I'm not a programmer.  If I can't get my ports to
compile with clang without a knowledge of programming, I'll abandon them.
I'm too old and too tired to try learning a brand new system.  I doubt I'm
alone.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst