Re: Clang as default compiler November 4th

From: Erik Cederstrand <erik_at_cederstrand.dk>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:40:28 +0200
Den 12/09/2012 kl. 11.29 skrev Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>:

> On 09/11/2012 02:52 AM, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>> So can we do a sweep on the ports tree and mark the 2232 ports with USE_GCC=4.2 until they can actually build with clang?
>
> Unfortunately it isn't that simple. We already have a statistically
> significant number of ports that don't even compile with gcc 4.2.1. How
> many compilers do we expect the users to install? :)

If a port doesn't compile with the default compiler in base, I expect that port to add a build dependency on the compiler that it actually does compiles with. Of course, I hope to not have 6 different compilers installed on my system, but the list of build or runtime dependencies are at the discretion of the port (maintainer). As you (I think) said, we can't force port maintainers to patch their ports to support clang.

So even today, we have a significant number of ports that don't compile with the default compiler (GCC 4.2.1). Aren't they broken already, in the sense that they fail to tell me, the user, which compiler I should use?

Thanks,
Erik