Re: Clang as default compiler November 4th

From: Pietro Cerutti <gahr_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:21:31 +0200
On 2012-Sep-11, 23:29, Doug Barton wrote:
> What we need to do is what I and others have been asking to do for
> years. We need to designate a modern version of gcc (no less than 4.6)
> as the official default ports compiler, and rework whatever is needed to
> support this. Fortunately, that goal is much more easily achieved than
> fixing ports to build and run with clang. (It's harder than it sounds
> because there are certain key libs that define some paths depending on
> what compiler they were built with, but still easier than dealing with
> clang in the short term.)

I like the idea very much. My only concern is that gcc is heavy to
build. I can't imagine booting into a freshly installed production
machine and having to install gcc just to build the couple of ports
that I need there. Unless we provide a fast shortcut way to have make
depends install gcc via pkg when needed, or some similar mechanism..

--
Pietro Cerutti
The FreeBSD Project

PGP Public Key: