Re: panic at serial boot

From: <mh_at_kernel32.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:51:30 +0200
Am 2013-04-02 21:52, schrieb Konstantin Belousov:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 08:23:20PM +0200, mh_at_kernel32.de wrote:
>> Root mount waiting for: usbus2
>> uhub5: 2 ports with 1 removable, self powered
>> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0 []...
>> start_init: trying /sbin/init
> Good, thank you for testing.

thank you for helping out! :)
Although I might have to start another thread on freebsd-stable_at_,
because my actual task here is to get 9.1-RELEASE up and running on this
hardware (HP G8 Blade, and/or Dell M620 blade). 9.1-RELEASE weirdly
enough gives me no serial output whatsoever. With identical loader
settings. Well...
I just thought I'd give -CURRENT a try and realized this problem and
then thought I might as well continue here, since -CURRENT will be
10.0-REL someday...

>> And it stayed there for the last 10 minutes.
>>
>> What can I do now?
> I booted the image in qemu, initially there were no output on the
> screen. In fact, the system is very much alive, I broke into the
> debugger several times, and saw the tar/xz/sh working. More, after
> some
> time, I got a login: prompt.

Interesting...

> I have no idea what to expect from this thing, should it output
> anything
> after the kernel finished initializing, and why it sit there for 10
> minutes.
>
> Try breaking into the debugger and see where it progresses. To do
> this,
> you would need to boot with the 'boot -d' command from the loader
> prompt,
> then do 'w kbd_break_to_debugger 1', then ctrl-alt-esc when you want
> activate the debugger. In the debugger, start with the 'ps' command.

I'm going to give it a try, although it'll be quite hard.
I'm at a serial console via ssh on a HP blade with 9600 baud. I do
wonder whether I can see anything while trying to get to the boot
prompt. Let alone how to send a ctrl alt esc sequence via this line.

hm. I broke too early into the loader, did I?

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)boot
boot: boot -dNo boot

I'm going to continue trying to boot with -d and then break to the
debugger. Let's see how long it'll take me on this serial line. Yuk.
And I don't dare trying the Java applet for VGA. This one's even more
difficult with regards to input/output.

Later,
./Marian